Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Do Something About It

I ran jogged a mile today.  Okay, more like I jogged for a bit, walked for a bit, then jogged some more.  Let me tell you, it was hard.  Considering that for nearly the past four years, I have been either pregnant or nursing a baby, it's been quite some time since some of my muscles have seen a workout.  But after stepping on the scale today and seeing a number that was about twenty pounds higher than I want to be at, I decided it was really time to do something about it.  The gym membership I signed up for two months ago hasn't been used yet, and it isn't always easy to find the time (or energy) to get out of the house by myself to use it.  So I told Matt I was taking Grady for a run in the jogging stroller, threw on my inadequate sneakers (definitely need an upgrade: ouch), and tossed Grady in the stroller. 

I'm sure it was quite foolish for me to just dive in headfirst with the running today, after so long without exercise, and considering it was 85 degrees, humid, and I certainly had not hydrated well enough for a workout.  But I did it anyway, and it felt good.  I had to speed-walk for a good portion of the mile, but Grady's encouraging cries of "wow" and "hi, Momma!" made me smile through some of the rough parts.  We made it home just in time too, because the skies opened up and gave us a good soaking not even five minutes after I stumbled through the door with Grady on my hip and a stitch in my side.

So here I go - embarking on a new mission to become a runner (well, at least someone who enjoys running instead of avoiding it at all costs).  I'm preparing to download some good workout songs onto our old iPod, so if anyone has suggestions, leave them in the comments section below!  I also need to invest in some good running shoes, so recommendations are appreciated.  I figure I'm more likely to keep up with my new goal if I hold myself accountable for it, so I'll update here regularly on my progress.  Wish me luck!

On a totally unrelated note, here's an amusing conversation between Lilah and Daddy tonight at the dinner table:

Matt: So, Lilah, what are your thoughts on the state of our nation's economy?
Lilah: I went to the mall last night and rode on the fire truck.  It had a siren.
Matt: Oh, really?  What do you think about the new tax policies?
Lilah: I went to TJ Maxx too.
Matt:  Well, can you tell me your thoughts on the current unemployment rate?
Lilah: No, I don't think so.  Can I have some fruit snacks now?

She's pretty good at diversion and changing the subject.  Maybe a future in politics?

No comments:

Post a Comment